Owner HNF Business Consultants
• On contract to the Royal Bank of Canada, designed and implemented the program for regulatory compliance and internal RBC Operational ERM Risk Management.
• Lead various international client assignments on ISO 31000, COSO ERM design and Implementation projects.
TMX Group Ltd - Director Enterprise Risk management (2014-2016)
• Designed and rolled out systems for ERM repository of its components. Ongoing ERM monitoring and compliance. Initiatives, projects and ‘effective challenges’. Responsible for TMX Group Insurance program.
• Designed and Implemented the TMX Group ERM program for the TMX Group of Companies ensuring consistency with Industry standards COSO and ISO31000 and ensuring compliance with Bank of Canada and OSC Recognition Orders.
• Second line of defence deep dive monitoring and challenges of IT developments and SDLC cycles governed by CoBIT, business processes and operational risks management.
• Supported TSX Trust risk and control requirements for OSFI licensing project and OSFI CAR assessment and monitoring, prepared responses and reports to support application. Interacted directly with OSFI staff. Conducted detailed analysis of TSX Trust functions to document Risk Control Self Assessments as interim Risk Officer.
Canadian Depositories for Securities – Director – Enterprise Risk Management (2007-2014)
• Provided thought leadership to continuously upgrading the design of the ERM frame work to ensure these meet foremost COSO Industry standards.
• Responsible for enhancements to the ICP quarterly process framework and on-going oversight of the internal control and control environment through the implementation of this program.
• Enhanced divisional processes for improvement of internal controls environment.
• Designed Key Enterprise Risk methodologies for assessing inherent and residual risks likelihood and impacts on identified operational risks using simulation methods, including montecarlo methods, and various qualitative analytics.
• Lead ERM projects CPSS/IOSCO initiatives.
• Introduced new techniques for monitoring Operational Risk, KER, and Policy Compliance. Periodically conducted detailed reviews of ICP processes of CDS divisions resulting in major improvements in identification of divisional risks and associated design of internal controls. Provided formal assessments of risks and controls of ICFR and DC&P environments to CEO/CFO to enable quarterly certifications.
• Managed Money Markets Project - designed new industry processes and standards for participants. Lead initiatives to successfully address regulatory recommendations.
Lannick Consulting – 2007
• On contract for the TD Bank and other clients, analyzed complex processes for identifying risks and internal controls.
TMX Group (2006-2007)
• As a Senior Manager at TMX Group, was responsible for Internal Audit. Made significant Internal audit recommendations of financial risk management processes for credit risk, replacement cost risk, payment risk and liquidity risk (2006-2007).
• On contract to Scotia Capital Finance: Commercial Banking and credit risk for lending, delinquencies and provisioning.
• On contract as Internal Auditor for Sears Canada. Reviewed controls and processes for its Canadian operations.
• On contract as Internal Auditor for Noranda Falconbridge. Reviewed controls and processes for its Canadian operations.
4i Business Solutions
• Co-Founder of 4i Business Solutions and 4i Image Group (2002-2005)
Bank of Montreal – Manager Finance Division (2001-2002)
• Budgeting, forecasting and monthly reporting and associated variance analysis of Head Office and Administration departments of the Bank of Montreal Wealth Management Group.
• Developed Allocation methodology of Head Office and Administration departments and applied this methodology for monthly allocation of costs to the business units.
• Administered Variable Compensation of Chairman and Board of Bank of Montreal Wealth Management Group.
Sumitomo Bank – Internal/IT Auditor – London, England (1999-2001)
• Detailed add value internal audit reviews and specific recommendations of lines of businesses processes including credit risk management functions including project analysis, lending criteria, syndication and commercial loans.
Citibank, Credit Structures division – London, England. (1996-1999)
• As Vice President of Citibank and Chief Operating Officer of Finance, Control and Operations, managed and reported the transaction and control processes in the middle and back office for offshore Special Purpose Vehicles. Undertook strategic planning and processes re-engineering including new systems enhancements and development and critical path resolution.
Managed 8 staff (One RVP and 2 Managers) responsible for strategic financial guidance, Financial and Management
Morgan Grenfell Asset Management (Deutsche Bank) London, England (1994-1996)
• As Head of Custodian Services managed a team dealing with clearing house and settlement problems for settling bonds and securities in various world markets.
• Implemented and managed operational processes with nearly 50 custodian banks. High-level interaction with senior staff of these banks.
• Systems Development from the user specification phase right up to implementation and post implementation reviews of billing system and major bank wide initiative in Client /Server environment for trading to settlement system.
Friends Provident Life Office, Surrey, England. (1990-1994)
• As Senior Internal Auditor, performed risk and control environment assessment and add value reviews of all Insurance and wealth management retail funds.
• Developed detailed working model based on total risk model as follows TR=IRXPRXCRXSR
• Extensive use of CAATS on relational database extracts from mainframe. Systems Development and Projects reviews of major IT systems developments.
• Audited business and operations departments in accordance with the formal audit plan.
• Significant other add-value projects included Risk analysis, Fund manager performance, stock exchange compliance and internal controls; and custodian controls.
KPMG Peat Marwick, London (1986-1990)
• Qualified as a Chartered Accountant. Conducted audits of mostly multinationals companies including Lloyds of London syndicates, Unilever, ICI, Lonrho and Rank Organisation.
Qualifications and Education
Chartered Accountant ACA (England)
BSc Hons Physics, University of London. First Class Hons. Awarded Leo Pincherle Prize in the first and second year and second position in the University of London wide Grenville prize in the Hons year awarded to top graduate.